Dr. Marisa Serrato is a trusted psychiatrist trained in both allopathic (conventional) and integrative holistic medicine. She treats adults, primarily between the ages of 18 and 60 years old. She has an interest in the treatment of depressive and anxiety disorders, women's mental health, and college mental health.
Most important to Dr. Serrato's approach is one of the principles of holistic medicine, "Relationship-Centered Care." She strongly emphasizes the importance of working as a team with her patients, and that effective work together calls for ongoing, open, and honest communication as well as an understanding of each person's unique perspective and experience.
Dr. Serrato will work with you wherever you are in your process of achieving optimal health. The goal will be to increase your sense of connection to your own body, and to recognize the impact that your lifestyle decisions can make on your overall health, functioning, and well-being. Dr. Serrato will educate you about how a balance of the physical, environmental, mental, emotional, social and spiritual aspects of your life is vital to your mental well-being.
Her treatment recommendations may include a combination of both conventional medicine, including medications and therapy, as well complementary treatment options, such as the use of nutritional approaches, supplements, and herbs. She strongly believes in using a collaborative approach with other providers to ensure continuity of care and to allow her patients to benefit from the knowledge, experience, and wisdom of different clinicians and perspectives. Patients may be referred to allopathic and/or holistic practitioners when appropriate, such as primary care providers and acupuncturists. Treatment recommendations are tailored to each person's individual interests and needs.
Dr. Serrato has been employed in multiple outpatient settings since she finished her fellowship training in 2009, including at university counseling centers, in group practices, in private practice, and at a university medical center. She also has experience providing telepsychiatry services at a university counseling center and in private practice.
She is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Illinois at Chicago. She serves the university student population at the UIC Counseling Center and also provides psychiatric services in private practice.
Dr. Serrato has been honored with the election to Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association.
Dr. Serrato currently provides services for the following concerns:
- Unipolar depression
- Low energy
- Poor concentration
- Sleep problems
- Eating concerns
- Chronic stress
- Life transitions
Reasons to schedule a consultation with Dr. Serrato:
- If you want to receive an individualized assessment and education about possible contributing factors to your mental health symptoms
- If you want to feel empowered about being able to influence your own healing process
- If you would like to adopt a holistic approach to your mental health problems, including optimization of self-care, such as nutrition, sleep hygiene, and exercise
- If you are open to the elimination of potentially harmful substances or behavioral practices which may be contributing to your symptoms
- If you are interested in the integration of nutritional interventions, supplement use, or other holistic practices along with conventional psychiatric treatment, such as medications and psychotherapy, as a form of both prevention and treatment of illness
What you can expect from Dr. Serrato:
- A thorough evaluation of your symptoms, including a review of your history and how this relates to your mental health symptoms
- Collaboration with other conventional and holistic practitioners to ensure thorough assessment and appropriate treatment options
- Safe, effective, and individualized treatment recommendations
- Educational resources to help you optimize your mental and physical health
- Ongoing direct communication with Dr. Serrato as needed during your treatment
- A sense of commitment from Dr. Serrato in helping you in your journey
"I value the trust that is given to me when forming a treatment relationship with each person.
Because I understand that facing some of these challenges can at times be overwhelming, I am committed to working with you to educate you about all of your options and to find the right healing path that works for you."